Health experts have today warned teenagers of the dangers of drinking a cocktail of racing fuel and Mountain Dew, known as ‘DewShine’.
It comes six months after two teen boys died in rural Tennessee, having drunk the concoction – which includes methanol.
Logan Stephenson, a 16-year-old student at Greenbriar High School, was found dead in his bed the morning of January 21.
Just minutes later, paramedics were called to Stephenson’s best friend J.D. Byram’s house, when the boy started having seizures.
Five days later, J.D died in hospital from the effects of the drink.
In a report released today, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention documents investigations into the two deaths.
Experts urge parents, teachers, community leaders and healthcare professionals do warn young people of the dangers of drinking ‘DewShine’.
Racing fuel is typically 100 per cent methanol – an organic solvent commonly found in the laboratory, industrial and automotive industries and residential products.
The CDC report notes just one tablespoon, or 15ml of methanol can prove fatal.
Police investigating the deaths reported that the boys obtained half a gallon (1.9 liters) of an unknown brand of racing fuel.
They they mixed an unknown quantity of that racing fuel with the soda in a 2L bottle, which they then took to a party.
Two friends with the boys at the time also drank the cocktail – around two ounces – and survived.
Logan, aged 16, was found dead at his home around 11 hours after ingesting the cocktail.
His best friend, J.D, was found suffering a seizure at home about 12 hours after the friends drank DewShine.
He was taken to the emergency room where tests revealed he had 175mg/dL of methanol in his bloodstream – the presence of any methanol at all is abnormal, the CDC notes.
Despite ‘aggressive measures’ taken by doctors to treat J.D, the teenager passed away five days later.
The CDC report notes that the amount drunk by Logan and J.D is not known, though an empty 2L bottle was recovered at the scene of the party.
After the death of Logan and hospitalization of J.D, the two surviving friends came forward to the authorities and admitted the four of them had made a cocktail from Mountain Dew soda and racing fuel.
They were monitored at hospital before being released.
The lethal cocktail is known as ‘DewShine’ but is not the same as DEWshine, an non-alcoholic beverage made by PepsiCo.
At the time local police raised concerns that teenagers may be drinking DewShine as an alternative to alcohol, which the law prevents them from buying.
Racing fuel costs about $7.50 a gallon and when mixed with Mountain Dew, it’s still much more potent than regular hard alcohol.
CDC experts warn the initial signs and symptoms of methanol intoxication are similar to being drunk.
After after six to 36 hours, depending on the amount of the cocktail a person has drunk, they will likely become drowsy and suffer nausea and vomiting, as well as abdominal pain.
Later, more serious symptoms can develop, including visual disturbances, abnormal breathing, altered mental state, seizures, cerebral edema – swelling of the brain caused by excessive fluid – an ultimately death.
The CDC report states: ‘The absence of severe signs or symptoms after ingestion should not deter medical evaluation.
‘Early medical assessment and rapid treatment can increases chances for survival.’
Well I’ll be a monkey’s uncle. Drinking racing fuel is bad for your health?? Get outta town! I would never have guessed that drinking nearly 100% Methanol fuel that is combustible and used for racing cars at a very high speed, is bad for your health. Stunned.
Now obviously it sucks people died but also, I’m not gonna feel too bad because who the fuck would think drinking race fuel is a great idea? When you’re pumping gas and the smell starts to hit your brain and you get a little light headed you shouldn’t be wondering what this 87 octane gasoline taste like. Something like this could fly if it were still 2000 but c’mon. It’s 2016. We know that colliding our brains together will give people concussions and that inhaling smoke at 2 packs a day will probably lead to lung cancer. One can pretty safely guess that drinking high octane racing fuel probably isn’t the best for ya.
Now when it comes to any medical related issues I put on my doctor hat and remember everything I saw from the Tv show House. Remember when LL cool J drank toner fluid that was also pure methanol? I do, and knowing that I woulda told these kids the cure to keep the methanol from ravaging their livers is to drink like pure vodka because Gregory House did it for some reason I can’t remember but it fixed LL Cool J if it wasn’t for another lingering medical condition that the show solved later on, so its right. That’s what you call irony. Kids drinking Mountain Dew and Racing fuel to get fucked up and the only cure to saving their lives would’ve been more alcohol.
P.s- Should out to early 2000 rap music for making drinking out of a gas can look cool. Still don’t know if they were drinking gasoline out of those things or just pouring beer in there. Or henny? i dont know all i know is that in the Dirty they them boys that drank you under the table.
Also shout out to me for thinking it would be fun to try fire spitting with no practice what so ever so I pour my self a cup of gasoline and nearly choked and lit my insides on fire.